Sunday, August 2, 2026

SLOWING DOWN WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD

 My daughter is turning 4 in November. I have been having a brilliant opportunity to spend more time with her recently. We have slow mornings in bed. We do arts and crafts, and we read storybooks. She started creche at the age of two, and I used to drag her out of bed at 5am, get her dressed, and drop her off at her creche. Most days she would be the first baby being dropped off. She would panic and cry, and the ladies would try to take care of her until 8am when the teachers and the rest of the children would arrive. They were given breakfast and lunch at school, and she required a late snack, as most days I would fetch her around 6pm. In her new school, we pack her a pretty lunchbox with a little sandwich, and we drop her off at 9:30 am which makes a huge difference.

She is a very sweet and independent girl. There are weekends when I leave her with her grandparents, and she manages well. She was initially interested in Coco Melon animations, and then she started enjoying Peppa Pig. She became extremely interested in K-pop and its music. She had been watching a lot of dinosaur shows and Jurassic Park with her dad and has been enjoying the Paw-petrol dog shows. I love it when she gives me her opinion on things and asks me what she wants to get. One of her favourite toys is the Marshal dog from the Paw-petrol characters. She enjoys watching Spiderman shows on YouTube. She started watching the Frozen animation on my friend’s Disney channel and became very interested in the story. Now she runs around, opens her hands, makes a big sound, and pretends to freeze everything and everyone. When she gets to me, she says, “Mommy hot!” I get excited and jump up and down with joy.

I am a great lover of public libraries, and recently my little daughter has her own library card, and she can take out her own children’s books. She saw a Frozen storybook in the library and took it immediately. She is getting more and more verbal, at her own pace. She is learning new words every day and becoming more curious about various things. She knows her shapes and colours and knows how to count to ten. She knows the names of most of the animals and fruits. She can now solve little puzzles and enjoys playing with blocks and building things. She is very happy when she is around other children. 

She is close to her father’s mother, whom she calls Ouma, and my dad, whom she calls Daddy. She is OK around my mother and my husband's grandmother. My dad and Ouma spend a lot of time playing with her. Up to the age of 28 months,  she was mostly with my mother while I was at work, but my mom was not very pro-active to play with her or taking her outside; my dad was the one to play with her inside and outdoors. She is a picky eater; she mainly lives on bread and butter, milk, and snacks. She loves KFC chicken or any grilled chicken, fried fish and chips, 2-minute noodles, and all sorts of eggs. She is not interested in vegetables except corn and cucumber and a few fruits like apples, oranges and strawberries. 

She enjoys riding her bicycle, doing arts and crafts, and playing with my husband's granny who makes blocks and has pretend tea parties with her. Our neighbour’s boy comes up to my parents' house and the two of them sometimes play well, or sometimes it ends up with disaster and tears and fighting. Whenever she falls or has a sore, I give her a hug and tell her, “Mommy is gonna kiss it better!” Some days when I am a bit nervous or stressed, she spontaneously comes to me, gives me a hug, kisses me, and tells me, “I kiss it better!” I instantly start to feel better; it is such a good feeling.  We do our best as parents, and we hope to raise a happy and confident girl.



My little girl enjoying her bicycle on a sunny day in South Africa
                                                  Fun in the sun with the pink bicycle


A trip to the big airplane on display in Fourways Mall
The giant airplane

Mommy and her little daughter in the bird garden in Monte Casino
The Bird Garden in Monte Casino

my little girl enjoying a variety of puzzles in the Bryanston Library
Enjoying doing puzzles in the Bryanston Library






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLOWING DOWN WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD

  My daughter is turning 4 in November. I have been having a brilliant opportunity to spend more time with her recently. We have slow mornin...